When searching for a new men’s dress shirt, you’ll need to consider the material or fabric from which it was made. Like most garments, dress shirts are made in variety of fabrics, each of which has its own unique characteristics. Cotton is the most popular choice, as it’s soft, comfortable, inexpensive and readily available. However, linen is a popular alternative thanks to its properties. To learn more about linen dress shirts, keep reading.
What is Linen?
While most men are familiar with cotton, wool and other common fabrics, linen remains somewhat shrouded in mystery. Linen is essentially a textile made from flax plant fibers. It’s time-consuming to manufacture, but the end result is well worth it, as linen dress shirts and garments are prized for their performance in hot weather.
Benefits of Linen Dress Shirts
As stated above, linen dress shirts are ideal for hot weather and hot climates. This is because they are typically lighter and thinner than most other fabrics and materials. If you’re attending a beach wedding, for instance, wearing a linen dress shirt is a great way to enhance your appearance while staying cool and comfortable at the same time.
Linen dress shirts are also available in countless colors, styles and designs. Regardless of your personal taste, chances are there’s a linen dress shirt out there with your name on it.
It’s important to note, however, that linen dress shirts often cost more than traditional cotton dress shirts. You should think of a linen dress shirt as an investment. Even if costs more upfront, you may still get more use out of it than a non-linen dress shirt simply because it’s the perfect fabric for hot weather.
Tips on Wearing a Linen Dress Shirt
If you plan on wearing a linen dress shirt, however, you should follow the tips listed below.
- Check to make sure the linen dress shirt is an appropriate size for your body. If it’s too big or too small, take it to a professional tailor and have it adjusted.
- Choose a color that’s going to match the rest of your outfit.
- If you plan on wearing a necktie, your linen dress shirt should not feature the same color as your necktie.
- As explained by GQ Magazine, slimmer-fitting linen dress shirts typically look better than “standard” and non-slim fit.
- Being that linen is so thin, sweat stains are more visible in linen shirts than shirts made of other materials. To prevent this from happening, try wearing an undershirt and/or a linen shit in a dark color.